Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Being true to the adjective

Hello all: Some random thoughts:

1: When I fill out an online form and I’m asked to fill in my year of birth, it takes me 5 minutes to scroll down.
2: As I get older, it seems that people increasingly use smaller fonts and softer voices.(By the way, this blog has undergone a font upgrade, along with some other changes. Thanks to my good friend Andy for the suggestions.)
3: Can you have a beck without a call? Or a nook without a cranny?
4: Why are criminal actions against monstrous acts of depravity called complaints? Don’t we generally complain about the weather and taxes?
5: I'm increasingly less patient with loud things. Loud people, loud headlines, loud anything.  But yet, I almost certainly have a hearing loss. 
6: The nicest American accents are low-country Virginia and Carolinas.
7: The most irritating accent is a Michigan accent...non-Detroit. (Apologies to my friends Leanne and Bob, if they should happen upon this. Their accents are actually pretty muted...thank God)
8: There are two versions of nice people. There's nice/Irish, which is generally outgoing. And there's nice/Canadian, which is more low-key. But I find myself drawn to both. And yes, Americans are generally nice too.
9: Everyone I've ever met named Heather has blond hair. 
10: Every band I've ever heard in my childhood seems to be on a comeback tour. 
11: Every time I think I've pissed someone off, I'm wrong. When I really do hurt someone or make them angry, it always surprises me.  
12: The two biggest mysteries to me are money and women.  The former confounds me. The latter fascinates me.  And I'm not sure which is #1. However, with GWCTRA in my life, my fascination is now highly focused.  But I'm no more educated now than I was 40 years ago.
13: I find myself getting irritated when someone does a Powerpoint presentation and reads the slides verbatim. 
14: Country songs are the most deceptively hardest songs to write of any genre.  
15: The mark of a bad comedy is whenever the camera pans in very close on someone being scared. So close that you can see their irises. 
16: I find myself increasingly ignoring headlines that seem salacious. I guess if I click on one, I'm making money for the moron who wrote it. And as a corollary, I have no idea how much money he's making. Nor the business model that it's based on. 
17: I find that in sports, I'm increasingly rooting for (or against) people more than teams.
18: The older I get, the less sure I am about almost anything. And it's strangely liberating. 

That's all for now. Thanks for stopping by.

...gp

No comments:

Post a Comment