Sunday, August 19, 2012

I'm an expert

Maybe it's just me. But it seems everyone is now an expert on something. And the title "expert" has not been bestowed upon them. Rather, it's one they've bestowed upon themselves.
It seems to be especially prevalent in sports, usually the perfect match for those who like to self-promote. And it's not a subtle thing. Bloggers, their spouses and their pets all now have the explicit title of "(pick the sport) Expert".  There's actually a group of political journalists who describe themselves as "power players". Essentially the same thing with a little machismo thrown in.
I hate to be left behind. So I now appoint myself an expert in the following areas:

1: Interstates. Give me two cities and I'll tell you what interstate highways connect them. In most cases, even the old US Highways.
2: Capitals: I can tell you the capital of almost any country in the world.
3: Rivers: I can also tell you what rivers run through what regions.

And, uh, as I read this, I notice two things:
1: All this stuff is geography, which is what I have a masters degree in. And it's useless for any practical purpose.
2: Which leads to my 2nd point, and a pattern I noticed many years ago, which is this: What I know and how much money it makes me have a perfect inverse relationship.
To put this in graph form:



As you can clearly see, my "bread and butter" is computer/IT work. Which I have increasingly less passion for. That's why I'm going back to school to become an LCSW/psychotherapist.  (And by the way, isn't this a nice Excel chart? C'mon people, I'm begging for a compliment. Help me out here)

Back to my main point:
What I'm an expert on are not categories that will get me my own McMansion.

But that gives me an idea: I'm now an expert on experts. An "uber-expert", if you will.

If you want to understand experts and the whole expert industry, I'm your man. Just don't expect me to have any expertise.

No comments:

Post a Comment