Monday, July 30, 2012

Take me In From The Ballgame

Ah, nothing like a fun day at the ballpark. Hot dogs, beer, grass, beer, the crack of the bat. And beer.

Such were the plans for Sunday, August 12th, when I purchased 4 tickets for me and 3 old college friends to see the Mets "play" the Braves. (Given the Mets level these days, and my ongoing belief in truth in advertising, I feel obliged to use quotes.)

No problems. I purchase the tickets, pay the highway robbery add on fees and we're good to go.

That is, until I got an email a week later from the Mets office saying the game time has now been changed to evening. To accommodate the overlords of baseball, i.e. Fox TV. (Why Fox would choose to broadcast my Mets on a game of the week is another issue, as the Mets, sporting a snazzy 3-13 record since the All Star break,  have officially broken the scientific speed record for downward trajectory. Findings to be published in the next issue of MyTeamSucks.com.)

None of us want to go to a Sunday night game. Most of us have lives that include Monday morning. (Present company excluded) It's embarrassing enough being a Mets fan to begin with. To risk being seen on national TV is one I choose not to take.  This is the same organization that, just a few weeks ago, had a promotional night featuring Snooki. Pretty much says it all.

And speaking of sinking, that's the feeling I get in my stomach when I envision trying to get our tickets switched to a different game. One of my friends predicts it won't be a problem. I'm jealous of his naivete. It says very clearly that tickets can't be switched. My powers of empathy inform me that if it was me who came up with the policy, I'd make an exception if a game time was switched, as it's out of the customer's (fan's) control. And the customer is always right. If I'm a doctor and my patient cancels at the last minute, do I charge him? Absolutely. So I understand the policy. But, if I'm a doctor and decide to reschedule my patient from 2:00 PM to 7:00 PM and he can't make it, do I bill him anyway? Of course not. This is what the Mets are doing.

I quickly realize I'm way more naive than my friend.

I call the Mets office and am told by Jason, who's actually pretty courteous, that Major League Baseball has this policy and the Mets only follow it and therefore, they can't help me. I am told to contact Major League Baseball. I don't know anyone by that name. I know only of Lee Majors and Major Lance, (a somewhat obscure 60's R&B singer) and Major Deegan, which ironically is the name of the parkway that goes by Yankee Stadium. Jason can't help me narrow it down.
My powers of empathy are as relevant as tie died jeans at a Tea Party convention. I curse my powers of empathy and wish that I was as soulless as the faceless bureaucrats who disrespect baseball fans.
I have trouble understanding why an organization that is watching the national pastime become almost irrelevant, if ratings are to be believed, chooses to treat its customers this way.

Not only that, as I project the starting rotation, I realize we won't be seeing Mets ace R.A. Dickey. Really the only reason to go to a game these days. Instead, we'll be seeing the guy who pitches 60% of the Mets games, Chris HefNiese. I already know that even if we have a lead, the bullpen, aka "The Pyromaniacs", won't be able to hold it. 

Let's see...do I drive from North Haven, Connecticut to Citi Field (One more corporate stadium...but that's another blog), pay 20 dollars to park, buy overpriced food, all to watch the Mets lose to the Braves, and then drive back to CT, with an ETA past midnight? Or do I stay home and play online chess?

Answer: King's Knight to King's Bishop 3. 


No comments:

Post a Comment