Monday, May 13, 2013

The year of spending dangerously

First, a small update. Last week's blog sat in draft until a few minutes ago. Now published.

So, in what seems like an ethnic irony, I don't fit my stereotype. I'm like the clownfish in Finding Nemo, who's not very funny. Or like a person of color who's not athletic, an Asian who's not good at math, I'm an ethnic Jew who doesn't understand money. (Just to say this explicitly, I think all of these stereotypes are ridiculous...but they DO exist...Except for the clownfish. They're generally hilarious. And tasty, I might add.)

It wasn't always this way. I was always interested in how money works but I've never been self-disciplined enough to follow the path to wealth. And I admire those who do. I'm learning little by little but I'm 57 and it's getting late.

Thus, we come to our current year of 2013. A year in which the following happens, or has happened:
January: My son turned 25
February: My brother turned 60
March: My nephew turned 20
April: My uncle turned 80
May: Well...nothing. But it IS Mother's Day and I wanted to do something nice for GWCTRA.
June: I get a breather. (And I expect to be treated like a king for Father's Day. Hey...I've earned it)
July: My good friend Andy has a landmark. (I don't know if he wants me to say any more)
August: Another good friend, Andy's wife Diane also has a landmark. (And I REALLY don't know if she'd appreciate me saying any more)
September: My brother and sister in law celebrate their 25th anniversary.
October: GWCTRA has a birthday. Not a landmark, but it IS my 1st since we've met.
November: Speaking of which, GWCTRA and I celebrate our 1st anniversary, assuming she hasn't kicked my butt out the door before then.
December: It's MY birthday. And again, I expect everyone to be very, very, nice to me. Besides, it's now the holidays. Let me say up front...I'll be too broke to get you anything.

What kind of family planning is this? Didn't anyone central in my life consider how much this will cost me? And in 5 years, assuming I'm not in debtors prison, I'll have to do it all over again.

So, if you don't have any special occasions that began in a year ending in a 3 or an 8, give me a call. I'm sure this can be the start of a beautiful friendship. If you ARE in the "3" or "8" club, give me a call too. Just don't expect anything from me.

No comments:

Post a Comment